TRÍCH DẪN BÀI TỪ MEDSCAPE CME
Vitamin C deficiency is a fairly common metabolic abnormality, but a study by Gan and colleagues, which was published in the June 2008 issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, suggests that the prevalence of vitamin C deficiency is much higher among hospitalized patients. Although the rates of subnormal levels of vitamin C and vitamin C deficiency were 13% and 3%, respectively, among healthy control subjects, the respective rates among hospitalized patients were 60% and 19%. A low serum albumin level and male sex predicted a higher rate of vitamin C deficiency among inpatients, and a second measurement of vitamin C levels approximately 2.5 weeks after admission ( nhập viện) demonstrated no improvement in vitamin C levels during hospitalization.
Vitamin C has been linked with mood, and the authors of the current study hypothesize that vitamin C supplementation could improve mood disturbances among hospitalized adults.
• Patients were eligible for study participation if they were admitted to a university teaching hospital in July or August. Patients in the intensive care unit were not eligible for study participation.
• Participants were randomly assigned to receive vitamin C 500 mg twice daily or vitamin D 1000 IU twice daily. Vitamin D was selected as a control treatment because vitamin D deficiency is common among inpatients, and this deficiency has been linked with abnormal mood. The treatment period was 5 to 10 days, and patients taking vitamin D supplements before admission were placed in the vitamin C intervention group.
• Researchers examined plasma levels of vitamin C along with 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels at baseline and at days 5 to 10 of treatment. Vitamin C deficiency was defined as a level less than 11.4 µmol/L, and vitamin D deficiency was defined as a level less than 75 nmol/L.
• The main study outcome was the Profile of Mood States, a 30-item questionnaire designed to measure mood. The questionnaire was administered at baseline and at days 5 to 10 of the study.
• 55 patients without evidence of vitamin C deficiency on physical examination participated in the trial. 9% of participants had vitamin C deficiency at baseline, and the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency was 84%.
• 20 patients were discharged from the hospital before completing at least 5 days of study therapy, and they had no follow-up data for analysis.
• The most common clinical diagnoses among participants who completed the trial were cancer, cardiovascular disease, and infectious disease.
• The mean treatment period for vitamin C therapy was 8.7 days. Vitamin C therapy more than tripled plasma vitamin C concentrations and nearly doubled the vitamin C level of mixed mononuclear leukocytes during hospitalization.
• The mean treatment period for vitamin D therapy was 7.5 days. Treatment increased the average 25-hydroxyvitamin D level by 20%.
• Treatment with vitamin C was associated with a 34% reduction in the total mood disturbance score from baseline, whereas vitamin D had no significant effect on mood.
• A previous study found that vitamin C deficiency was more than 6 times more common among hospitalized adults vs healthy control subjects. Male sex and a low serum albumin level were risk factors for vitamin C deficiency, and there was no evidence of improvement in vitamin C levels during hospitalization.
• The current study suggests that vitamin C, but not vitamin D, supplements might improve mood among acutely hospitalized adults. "
KẾT LUẬN CỦA MÌNH KHI TÌM HIỂU:
1. Việc dùng vit c vẫn có 1 lợi ích nhất định đối với bệnh nhân nhập viện, đặc biệt lợi ích cải thiện khí sắc "mood" của bệnh nhân.
2. Cách dùng:
- Với bệnh nhân nhập viện vì các bệnh: ung thư, tim mạch và bệnh nhiễm trùng ( infectious diease : An infectious disease is a clinically evident illness resulting from the presence of pathogenic microbial agents, including pathogenic viruses, pathogenic bacteria, fungi, protozoa, multicellular parasites, and aberrant proteins known as prions).
- liều dùng: vit c: 500mg x 2 lần / ngày từ 5-10 ngày ( trung bình 1 tuần)
Muốn pót bài, nhưng không biết pót mục nào, đánh pót vào đây.
Mong mọi người góp ý.